A blockchain fight, GoDaddy auctions and .com were among the top stories last month.
A big topic in July was a brewing fight in the blockchain domain name world. Here’s a look at the top stories on Domain Name Wire last month:
1. Unstoppable Domains goes after rival HNS .wallet – I’m grouping these stories into one because they would otherwise dominate the entire list. Unstoppable Domains, a venture-backed company that offers blockchain-based domain names, sued Gateway.io, a registry/registrar service for Handshake domains. Gateway.io recently started offering .wallet domains, which Unstoppable also offers. While you can’t trademark top level domains, Unstoppable argues that the first company to offer a blockchain-based domains should get exclusive rights to it. Gateway.io ceased operations in the wake of the suit, but it looks like a bigger foe might step up to defend Handshake: Namecheap.
2. I just spent $8,692.71 on domain renewals. Here’s how I decided what to keep – I walked through my process for renewing my domains in bulk.
3. GoDaddy improves expired domain pullbacks, expands API access – Customers should have fewer purchased domains canceled, and can now use the auction API for Closeout buying.
4. Verisign’s domain base fell last quarter. Is it peak .com? – I walk through some of the reasons the domain base is falling, and Verisign confirmed/added to this in its earnings call.
5. .Com prices increase at the end of next month – Be sure to renew your domains before the end of August to save money.
Miss any podcasts? Listen here or on your podcast app.
Trademarks on blockchain domains – DNW Podcast #398
DomainAgents market overview – DNW Podcast #397
Domain name legal hour part II – DNW Podcast #396
Domain name legal hour – DNW Podcast #395
Leave a Comment