The Endurance-Web merger changes the look of the charts.
ICANN has published the latest official data from Verisign (NASDAQ: VRSN) about the .com namespace. This registrar-by-registrar report covers November 2020.
Last month, Endurance International Group went private and combined with Web.com in a new company called Newfold Digital. Starting with this month’s report I have combined the entities. I have also added in the SnapNames registrars. Newfold leaps Tucows in the total domains under management chart.
This combination creates one more space on the total domains under management leaderboard, which created another quandary: should TurnCommerce be included? I only include registrars that are open to the public, not closed registrars owned by a domain investor. TurnCommerce’s registrars are open to the public but a large percentage of its domains are owned & operated. I made the decision to start including the registrar and to combine the numbers from NameBright and its DropCatch.com LLCs. That puts it in the #7 slot.
Here’s how registrars did in terms of new .com registrations in November:
1. GoDaddy.com* (NYSE: GDDY) 832,844 (877,848 in October)
2. Namecheap Inc. 263,785 (286,290)
3. Newfold Digital+ 232,929 (n/a)
4. Tucows** (NASDAQ:TCX) 207,024 (231,248)
5. Alibaba (HiChina) 203,286 (163,555)
6. Google Inc. (NASDAQ: GOOGL) 144,030 (154,803)
7. United Internet^ 120,167 (79,506)
8. Wix (NASDAQ: WIX) 96,220 (94,842)
9. Dynadot 84,546 (n/a)
10. CentralNic^^ (AIM: CNIC) 80,478 (73,193)
Here’s the leaderboard of the top registrars in terms of total .com registrations under management as of the end of November 2020.
1. GoDaddy* 54,735,035 (54,610,243 in October)
2. Newfold Digital 14,595,094 (n/a)
3. Tucows** 12,988,434 (12,977,614)
4. Namecheap 6,856,440 (6,516,860)
5. Alibaba 6,133,679 (6,086,689)
6. United Internet^ 5,719,043 (5,655,462)
7. TurnCommerce++ 4,513,069 (n/a)
8. Google 4,052,113 (3,994,114)
9. GMO 2,149,198 (2,174,353)
10. CentralNic 2,207,996 (2,145,282)
Many domain companies have multiple accreditations and I’ve tried to capture the largest ones. See the notes below.
* Includes GoDaddy, Wild West Domains, Uniregistry and 123 Reg
** Includes Tucows, Enom, Ascio and EPAG
+ Includes PDR, Domain.com, FastDomain, Bigrock, Network Solutions, Register.com, SnapNames registrars, and Crazy Domains/Dreamscape. There are other Newfold registrars, but these are the biggest.
++ Includes NameBright and DropCatch registrars
^ Includes 1&1, PSI, Cronon, United-Domains, Arsys and world4you
^^ Includes Key-Systems, 1API, Internet.bs, TLD Registrar Solutions, RegistryGate, Moniker, Instra