A WordPress giveaway, GoDaddy’s new TLDs, and ICANN’s weird logic made news last month.
Miss any of the big news last month? These were the top five stories on Domain Name Wire, ranked by pageviews:
1. WordPress offers 1 million free transfers for domains at Google Domains – As of August 23, people transferred 44,000 domains as part of the free offer.
2. GoDaddy paid up to $39.4 million for top level domains – GoDaddy Registry acquired five domains in Q2 for $35.4 million, plus up to $4 million as an earn-out.
3. Domain name aftermarket hurts GoDaddy’s growth again – A dearth of big deals and few new partners to add slows down GoDaddy’s aftermarket growth.
4. ICANN says putting TLDs out to bid is against internet users interest – Well, I give credit for its creative spin.
5. Update: the biggest .com domain name registrars – Here’s a look at the biggest domain registrars ranked by .com domains under management.
And be sure to catch up on any podcasts you missed:
Identity Digital & TLD marketing – with Rachel Sterling and Matt Overman
Legal talk: LTOs & brokers – with John Berryhill
A max(.com) deal – with Joe Uddeme
Upgrading to Featured.com – with Brett Farmiloe