Company shows consistency in domain name sales.
Domain seller NameMedia, which sells domain names through BuyDomains and Afternic, sure is consistent. It seems that every week they total $600,000 or so in announced domain sales. That sort of consistency can only come with a large inventory of domain names. This past week the company sold about 400 domain names, or an annualized 20,800 names. Assuming an inventory of a million domain names, that’s a 2% turnover per year.
I point this out because it’s easy to look at NameMedia’s sales and wonder, “why am I not selling more of my domains”. You look at the list and think your domains are better than the ones that are selling for a $1,000 here or $2,000 there. But keep in mind:
1. If you own 1,000 domains like these, you would sell 1 or 2 a month at a 2% annual turnover.
2. NameMedia prices nearly all of its company-owned domain names. This results in more sales than the “make offer” approach.
3. The company gets great placement on GoDaddy and other registrars, resulting in a good number of sales. This sort of promotion is slowly being offered to NameMedia’s customers under “Premium Promotion”.
4. Your smaller portfolio doesn’t have the breadth that NameMedia and its sellers’ portfolios have.
5. NameMedia spends a lot of money advertising to end users and on trained sales staff.
I’ll end my soapbox and get to the list. Here are the top sales in .com for the past week:
And here are the top sales in other extensions. I’m particularly impressed with BrownSugar.net.