Google’s registrar now the ninth biggest for .com domain names.
ICANN has published the latest official data from Verisign (NASDAQ: VRSN) about the .com namespace. This registrar-by-registrar report covers October 2018.
As forecasted, Google Domains has surpassed GMO to become the 9th largest registrar for .com domains. As of the end of October it had over 2 million .com domains under management.
Starting this month I’m combining United Internet’s main registrars to include more than just 1&1.
Here’s how registrars did in terms of new .com registrations.
1. GoDaddy.com* (NYSE: GDDY) 893,103 (868,031 in September)
2. Alibaba (HiChina) 204,213 (133,156)
3. Tucows** (NASDAQ:TCX) 183,542 (174,114)
4. NameCheap Inc. 139,033 (139,581)
5. Xin Net Technology Corporation 135,590 (170,284)
6. Endurance+ (NASDAQ: EIGI) 130,915 (143,179)
7. Web.com++ 105,815 (99,859)
8. Google Inc. (NASDAQ: GOOGL) 92,312 (85,550)
9. United Internet^ 71,257
10. NameSilo 68,758 (88,409)
Here’s the leaderboard of the top registrars in terms of total .com registrations as of the end of October 2018.
1. GoDaddy* 49,222,603 (49,079,269 in September)
2. Tucows** 12,709,575 (12,751,782)
3. Endurance+ 7,240,990 (7,335,322)
4. Web.com++ 6,730,384 (6,722,165)
5. Alibaba 5,972,559 (5,852,659)
6. United Internet^ 5,675,949 (3,688,497)
7. Namecheap 4,452,551 (4,405,568)
8. Xin Net Technology Corporation 2,639,761 (2,522,185)
9. Google 2,005,816 (1,953,943)
10. GMO 1,975,188 (1,979,668)
Many domain companies have multiple accreditations and I’ve tried to capture the largest ones. See the notes below.
* Includes GoDaddy and Wild West Domains
** Includes Tucows and Enom
+ Includes PDR, Domain.com, FastDomain and Bigrock. There are other Endurance registrars, but these are the biggest.
++ Includes Network Solutions and Register.com
^ Includes 1&1, PSI, Cronon, United-Domains, Arsys and world4you
It has taken them 5 years to get 1% market share. Doing better than the new tld program at least!
Google can become world’s biggest registrar in one year if they want. All they have to do is spend a billion dollar on discounted promotions. I won’t be good for the industry though imo.
They could also become the world’s largest Chinese restaurant by giving away free dim sum.
Tom Keller says
^ Includes 1&1, PSI, Cronon, United-Domains, Arsys and world4you should be named IONOS not United Internet
Andrew Allemann says
I thought 1&1 Ionos referred to Ionos and United Internet is the main company brand: https://www.united-internet.de/en.html
China still the largest domain market.