Here’s a tutorial on granting limited access to a developer to manage a single domain at GoDaddy.
Letting your web developer register a domain on your behalf or have full access to your registrar account is a bad idea.
Unfortunately, not all domain registrars offer an easy way to grant access to a developer to make changes to one domain name. GoDaddy, the world’s largest domain name registrar, offers a way but it’s not very intuitive. Here’s a tutorial.
1. Log in to your GoDaddy account and click the person icon in the upper right. In the dropdown box, select Account Settings.
2. Select the box to Delegate Access.
3. On the right-hand side, under “People who can access my account”, select Invite to Access.
4. Enter the developer’s name and email address in the box that opens. Select Domains Only as the access level.
5. Now that you granted the developer access, you need to grant access to the specific domain. To do this, you need to create a folder. Go to your Domain Manager, select the Settings dropdown and click on Manage Folders.
6. Click Add Folder and create a folder name. Select if you want the developer to be able to transfer the domain and allow the developer access to that folder.
7. Now you need to add the domain to the specified folder. Go back to the domain manager and search for your domain. Click the checkbox to the left of the domain and then choose Organize > Add to Folder. Select the folder you assigned the developer access to and you’re all set!