Happy New Year!
December was a slow month in the domain name business but there was still a bit of news. Here are the top five stories on DNW last month.
1. NBC registers domain names for sports betting – is NBC getting ready for sports betting or were these domain registrations just defensive?
2. Marriott’s poor choice of domain for email notification – Email-Marriott.com looks like a phishing email to many people.
3. GMO is sending expired domains to GoDaddy Auctions – GoDaddy picked up another top 10 registrar. I wonder if Enom will transition in 2018 now that Tucows sold off its share of NameJet to Web.com.
4. GoDaddy tests new branding on Afternic landers – The GoDaddy logo is front and center.
5. Four ways to improve the GoDaddy aftermarket – GoDaddy has the dominant domain name aftermarket. It could be better.
And here are the DNW podcasts from December:
#213 – Understanding .Brand domains
#216 – The Fake Domain Broker
#217 – 2018 in Review