Two new domain names add solid numbers on first day of general availability.
Two highly anticipated new top level domain names launched yesterday, and both had a good debut.
.News added about 8,000 registrations on its first “zone day”, bringing the total to 9,000. .News had already racked up about 1,000 domain names through sunrise and early access. Rightside provided these stats:
– Biggest Rightside Sunrise to date (500 domains)
– Biggest Rightside EAP to date (both volume and revenue – over 1000 domains)
– Biggest Rightside day 1 of GA to date
– Fastest Rightside TLD to 10k domains (currently sitting around 10,250 as of earlier this morning).
– 8th biggest Rightside TLD already
– 5th biggest Rightside TLD for premiums already, despite lighter touch strategy
– Great brand adoption – Sky Broadcasting, Amazon, Times Newspapers, Fox, Gannett, Sinclair, Tribune are just some of the others to join.
.Site added about 9,000 domain names to the zone file, bringing its total to just shy of 10,000.
About 4,000 of the .site domain names were registered at West263.com, a Chinese domain name registrar. The company promoted the domain name on its home page at a special price — just 32 yaun. That’s about $5 USD.
Most registrars were charging $20 or more for first year .site registrations.