Here are the biggest and fastest-growing domain name registrars for .com domains.
ICANN has published the latest official data from Verisign (NASDAQ: VRSN) about the .com namespace. This registrar-by-registrar report covers October 2022.
Gname returned to the monthly .com chart for the second month in a row. I started adding in its affiliated drop-catching registrars, too. And OwnRegistrar jumped in with what is likely a bulk registration customer.
On the overall leaderboard, GMO nudged NameSilo out of the top 10 after a strong month for .com adds. And Google topped 6 million .com domains under management.
Here’s how registrars did in terms of new .com registrations in October:
1. GoDaddy.com* (NYSE: GDDY) 768,008 (710,134 in September)
2. Namecheap Inc. 294,333 (278,063)
3. Google Inc. (NASDAQ: GOOGL) 206,251 (188,934)
4. Newfold Digital+ 148,366 (142,099)
5. Tucows** (NASDAQ: TCX) 146,122 (130,155)
6. GMO 116,593 (62,480)
7. Gname.com 108,265 (76,706)
8. OwnRegistrar 100,060
9. CentralNic## 79,210
10. Hong Kong Juming Network Technology Co., Ltd. 76,538
Here’s the leaderboard of the top registrars in terms of total .com registrations under management as of the end of October.
1. GoDaddy* 55,939,076 (56,000,729 in September)
2. Newfold Digital+ 13,261,700 (13,363,860)
3. Tucows** 11,443,373 (11,490,611)
4. Namecheap 8,759,803 (8,703,036)
5. TurnCommerce++ 6,182,293 (6,176,433)
6. Google 6,018,015 (5,914,136)
7. IONOS# 5,486,046 (5,474,067)
8. Alibaba 5,046,197 (5,233,424)
9. CentralNic## 3,220,892 (3,281,138)
10. GMO 2,678,604 (2,682,862)
Many domain companies have multiple accreditations and I’ve tried to capture the largest ones. See the notes below.
* Includes GoDaddy, Wild West Domains, Uniregistry, GoDaddy Corporate Domains and 123 Reg
** Includes Tucows, Enom, Ascio and EPAG
+ Includes PDR, Domain.com, FastDomain, Bigrock, Network Solutions, Register.com, MarkMonitor, SnapNames registrars, and Crazy Domains/Dreamscape. There are other Newfold registrars, but these are the biggest.
++ Includes NameBright and DropCatch registrars
# Includes 1&1, PSI, Cronon, United-Domains, Arsys and world4you
## Includes Key-Systems, 1API, Internet.bs, TLD Registrar Solutions, RegistryGate, Moniker, Instra
Note: the original version of this post said that Gname was a Chinese registrar. It is located in Singapore.
Leave a Comment