Here are the biggest and fastest-growing domain name registrars for .com domains.
ICANN has published the latest official data from Verisign (NASDAQ: VRSN) about the .com namespace. This registrar-by-registrar report covers September 2022.
It was a slow month for new .com registrations at the top registrars compared to the month prior. Gname is a new name in the top 10 for new registrations. The registrar has over 2 million .com domains under management. I hadn’t heard of this company until they recently started advertising on Domain Name Wire. It was the only Chinese-language registrar to make the top 10 new registrations list in September.
Here’s how registrars did in terms of new .com registrations in September:
1. GoDaddy.com* (NYSE: GDDY) 710,134 (759,027 in August)
2. Namecheap Inc. 278,063 (300,556)
3. Google Inc. (NASDAQ: GOOGL) 188,934 (203,276)
4. Newfold Digital+ 142,099 (156,731)
5. Tucows** (NASDAQ: TCX) 130,155 (133,415)
6. Dynadot 110,908 (106,516)
7. TurnCommerce 83,619 (88,279)
8. Gname.com 76,706
9. Wix 65,626
10. GMO 62,480 (87,335)
Here’s the leaderboard of the top registrars in terms of total .com registrations under management as of the end of September.
1. GoDaddy* 56,000,729 (55,980,591 in August)
2. Newfold Digital+ 13,363,860 (13,459,239)
3. Tucows** 11,490,611 (11,542,218)
4. Namecheap 8,703,036 (8,663,126)
5. TurnCommerce++ 6,176,433 (6,160,323)
6. Google 5,914,136 (5,810,379)
7. IONOS# 5,474,067 (5,462,082)
8. Alibaba 5,233,424 (5,420,447)
9. CentralNic## 3,281,138 (3,310,737)
10. NameSilo 2,682,862 (2,705,133)
Many domain companies have multiple accreditations and I’ve tried to capture the largest ones. See the notes below.
* Includes GoDaddy, Wild West Domains, Uniregistry, GoDaddy Corporate Domains and 123 Reg
** Includes Tucows, Enom, Ascio and EPAG
+ Includes PDR, Domain.com, FastDomain, Bigrock, Network Solutions, Register.com, MarkMonitor, SnapNames registrars, and Crazy Domains/Dreamscape. There are other Newfold registrars, but these are the biggest.
++ Includes NameBright and DropCatch registrars
# Includes 1&1, PSI, Cronon, United-Domains, Arsys and world4you
## Includes Key-Systems, 1API, Internet.bs, TLD Registrar Solutions, RegistryGate, Moniker, Instra
Note: the original version of this post said that Gname was a Chinese registrar. It is located in Singapore.
Interesting stats. Thanks for sharing it!
Gname is a Singapo company.
Gname is a Singapore registrar, not a Chinese registrar