These are the fastest growing and biggest domain name registrars for .com domains.
ICANN has published the latest official data from Verisign (NASDAQ: VRSN) about the .com namespace. This registrar-by-registrar report covers June 2022.
June ended the second quarter of the year, and Verisign reported a drop in total .com domains under management during that quarter.
GoDaddy’s number was so low during the month that I had to double-check my math. Last year it had about 750,000 new registrations in June.
But in a sign of life, a Chinese registrar (eName) popped up on the new registrations chart for the first time in recent memory. Also making an entrance is Realtime Register, which lands on the list from time to time.
Also worth noting is that TurnCommerce jumped above Alibaba on the biggest registrars by total .com domains under management. Alibaba lost about a quarter million domains month-to-month.
Here’s how registrars did in terms of new .com registrations in June:
1. GoDaddy.com* (NYSE: GDDY) 666,656 (753,831 in May)
2. Namecheap Inc. 272,032 (279,010)
3. Newfold Digital+ 179,971 (203,513)
4. Google Inc. (NASDAQ: GOOGL) 164,277 (179,391)
5. Tucows** (NASDAQ:TCX) 119,296 (133,518)
6. TurnCommerce 119,145 (124,459)
7. Realtime Register B.V. 93,691
8. Dynadot 87,555 (101,447)
9. Wix 79,292 (89,673)
10. eName 73,341 73,342
Here’s the leaderboard of the top registrars in terms of total .com registrations under management as of the end of June.
1. GoDaddy* 56,336,714 (56,407,134 in June)
2. Newfold Digital+ 13,028,412 (13,161,970)
3. Tucows** 11,729,286 (11,831,998)
4. Namecheap 8,499,204 (8,437,730)
5. TurnCommerce++ 6,009,004 (5,945,061)
6. Alibaba 5,719,383 (5,961,540)
7. Google 5,582,519 (5,499,843)
8. IONOS# 5,474,898 (5,490,561)
9. CentralNic## 3,441,642 (3,451,049)
10. NameSilo 2,744,746 (2,755,185)
Many domain companies have multiple accreditations and I’ve tried to capture the largest ones. See the notes below.
* Includes GoDaddy, Wild West Domains, Uniregistry, GoDaddy Corporate Domains and 123 Reg
** Includes Tucows, Enom, Ascio and EPAG
+ Includes PDR, Domain.com, FastDomain, Bigrock, Network Solutions, Register.com, SnapNames registrars, and Crazy Domains/Dreamscape. There are other Newfold registrars, but these are the biggest.
++ Includes NameBright and DropCatch registrars
# Includes 1&1, PSI, Cronon, United-Domains, Arsys and world4you
## Includes Key-Systems, 1API, Internet.bs, TLD Registrar Solutions, RegistryGate, Moniker, Instra
Mark Thorpe says
That is a big drop in new .Com registrations year-over-year for GoDaddy.