Kassey Lee explains how you can find email addresses of Chinese companies for outbound domain sales purposes.
I research end users in China every day, and part of the exercise involves finding email addresses of companies I’m interested in contacting. Here are some of the methods I regularly use, which could help you for outbound sales of your domain names. Many of these apply to non-Chinese companies, too.
1. Use the Hunter browser extension. Once installed, it appears as an icon on my Chrome browser. When I’m visiting a website, I simply click the Hunter icon to display a list of email addresses found on the site. Hunter works on Chinese websites as well.
2. Check the bottom of the home page of a website. I have noticed that many Chinese companies like to put their contact email addresses at the bottom of their home page. This tip is handy especially when Hunter cannot find any email addresses. For example, I recently visited www.yunyangdata.com and found one email address at the bottom of its home page even though Hunter reported none.
3. Find the Chinese text 联系 (contact) on a web page. In Chrome, for example, you can use Ctrl+F to open the “find” box. Copy the Chinese text from here and then paste it into the box. If the result is a link, click it to show the contact page and look for email addresses.
4. Check the English language section. If the Chinese website you are visiting also provides English contents, visit that section as well. Sometimes the English section shows email addresses not available in the Chinese section.
5. Check Whois. Even though it is harder to find ownership details of a domain now, sometimes Whois still gives you a contact email address. My favorite tool is Whois.com. For example, a search on “amazon.cn” displays the contact email address of the domain registrant.
6. Check Crunchbase. Crunchbase also covers Chinese companies. For example, a search for “Codemao” (a startup that teaches Chinese children how to program) gives you the contact email address shown in the image below.
7. Check Baidu’s database of Chinese companies. This function is very powerful, but you must know Chinese or have someone who does. Visit Aiqicha.baidu.com and enter the name of a Chinese company. For example, a search for “点猫” (Codemao) gives you the contact email address shown in the image below.
If you need to contact a Chinese company, try the methods mentioned here to find its contact email addresses. Note that these email addresses may not reach the decision makers for domain acquisition. For this reason, I also use LinkedIn, which enables me to zero in on the CEO or other top executives of a Chinese company. I make use of the connection request feature to send a short message to the executive.