This looks really bad.
Kevin Ohashi of Review Signal has penned a significant analysis of regulatory capture at ICANN.
In the detailed post, he explains how just about everyone who weighed in positively on removing price caps for .org domains is conflicted. They’re lobbyists for Verisign or Public Interest Registry, members of Internet Society chapters, etc. They all stand to benefit from the removal of price caps.
Ohashi analyzed public comments about removing price caps and found that 98% were opposed to their removal. The other 2%? Those that Ohashi could track down are hopelessly conflicted.
I suppose it makes sense that people who volunteer for time-sucking ICANN groups have a vested interest in the outcomes. Not just for the betterment of the internet, but for the betterment of their pocketbooks.