Company holds contest for people to name its new eBike line. Is this a domain name opportunity?
General Motors is launching two eBikes and it wants your help naming them.
The company is running an eBike naming contest. The winner gets $10,000 and nine runners-up will get $1,000 each.
GM’s stated needs are interesting, and include things that many people think about when considering domain names:
- Does the name bring our mission to life?
- Does it inspire people to choose eBikes as their preferred mode of transportation?
- Does it give rich personality to the product?
- Is the tone smart and provocative?
- Is it compelling to the target consumer?
- Is it meaningful in multiple languages?
- Is it trademarkable?
While the brief doesn’t discuss domain names, this might be an opportunity to pitch a name you already own. (I quickly searched the rules/TOS for “domain” and didn’t see anything that would preclude this, but make sure you aren’t signing over any additional rights with your submission.) This might also be an opportunity for Donuts to pitch a clever .bike domain name.
Judging from the domain used for the contest–ebikebrandchallenge.com–they could use a little help on the domain front.
(Hat tip: Francois)