The only TRAFFIC of the year is upon us.
This year TRAFFIC will host just one conference, which kicks off Sunday in Fort Lauderdale.
Last year there was a TRAFFIC conference just about every other month. Combined with other domain conferences it was simply too much. Having just one TRAFFIC this year means a greater concentration of domainers and a bigger focus on business.
Here are five questions to be answered next week in Fort Lauderdale.
1. How will the auction perform? This auction will be different from most other recent live domain auctions for a couple reasons. First, there will be no online bidding. This should make the technical aspects of the auction go much smoother. Seriously, when’s the last time that a live auction with online bidding went smoothly? Second, domain owners could pay to get their domains in the auction.
The auction list keeps getting bigger — 120 domains at last count. This is a little long for my tastes, but a well run auction will go quickly. I think the numbers will be bolstered by a handful of registry owned .xxx domains.
2. Will the venue top last year’s? The Ritz Carleton will surely be nice, but I also liked last year’s hotel in South Beach. It appears the Ritz is actually across the street from the beach rather than right on it like last year’s (although there’s a bridge to the beach). Still, Rick and Howard have signed up to host TRAFFIC at the Ritz again next year, so it must be a sweet venue.
3. Will the event have class? Last year’s TRAFFIC in Florida had some moments we’d all soon like to forget, such as one of the show promoters yelling at a representative of one of the domain industry’s biggest revenue sources at a party. Hopefully we won’t see that this year. Also, let’s remember that the domain industry isn’t the adult industry. .xxx is the big sponsor. That makes sense. But I hope the entire conference takes into consideration that this industry has both men and woman, and not all like the adult entertainment industry.
4. Any big news? I’m hearing whispers of some fairly big company and product announcements in conjunction with next year’s show. We’ll see.
5. What will attendance be?Since this is the only TRAFFIC this year I’m guessing the total number comes in around 250-300.