ICANN working group asks for input on current domain expiration practices.
The recently launched Post-Expiration Domain Name Recovery Working Group is seeking public input on domain expiration policies. Specifically, the working group is charged with answering these questions:
1. Whether adequate opportunity exists for registrants to redeem their expired domain names;
2. Whether expiration-related provisions in typical registration agreements are clear and conspicuous enough;
3. Whether adequate notice exists to alert registrants of upcoming expirations;
4. Whether additional measures need to be implemented to indicate that once a domain name enters the Auto-Renew Grace Period, it has expired (e.g., hold status, a notice on the site with a link to information on how to renew, or other options to be determined);
5. Whether to allow the transfer of a domain name during the Redemption Grace Period (RGP).
Public comments may be submitted and reviewed on ICANN’s web site.
The group is already having spirited discussions on its mailing list, including representatives of GoDaddy and Oversee.net.