From the Golden State Warriors to .Shop, here’s what made news last month.
2016 kicked off in style for the domain name business with NamesCon. Here’s what else happened last month, ranked in order of views on Domain Name Wire:
1. New Golden State Warriors arena to be Chase Center – I scooped that Chase was going to be the sponsor of the new Golden State Warriors’ home in San Francisco.
2. .Shop top level domain sells for staggering $41.5 million – It was a crazy record price for a top level domain name. How can GMO justify the price tag?
3. I’ll pay $500k for your domain name. Psych! Here’s a UDRP. – A French company tried to trap a domain name owner with an offer to buy his domain.
4. What domain names Time Inc. and others bought at the end of the year – Time Inc and Sears were among buyers of domain names at Sedo.
5. China has been a blessing. Will it be curse? – Marketplaces were buoyed by Chinese buyers last year. What happens if this dries up?
Also, if you didn’t check out last month’s podcasts, you can listen now: