Super Bowl commercials and a two letter domain name registration attracted eyeballs in January.
Between NamesCon and GoDaddy’s Super Bowl plans, there was a lot going on in the domain biz last month.
Here are the top five stories on Domain Name Wire from January.
1. GoDaddy’s Super Bowl switcheroo – when GoDaddy released its planned 2015 Super Bowl ad, I called it the “most controversial yet”. Apparently, I was correct. GoDaddy decided to yank the ad from the big game.
2. 27 End User Sales – Domain Name Wire’s weekly End User Sales Reports are very popular, but rarely end up ranking so highly on the monthly charts. This one was an exception.
3. The wild story about how the domain name CM.com was just registered – CM.com has a 2015 registration date, and the story of how this came to be is almost unbelievable.
4. Thoughts on yesterday’s $1 million domain name auction – Right of the Dot held an auction during NamesCon, and it did well. Here’s my analysis.
5. GoDaddy SVP explains why new TLDs are struggling – new TLDs are lack accessibility and usability, argues GoDaddy’s chief of domain names.
People listen to Domain Name Wire Podcasts over time, so it’s not fair to compare a podcast that aired at the beginning of the month with one that aired at the end. That said, January’s 2015 Predictions episode was particularly popular. Here are other podcasts from last month to check out: