Company wins by losing five auctions.
New top level domain name company Minds + Machines has bolstered its bank account by $8.4 million as a result of losing five private auctions for new top level domain names. The losses included a handful of highly contested strings, such as .cloud and .book.
That’s not bad for a company that originally said it wouldn’t even participate in private auctions.
The company lost auctions for:
- .book – 9 applicants were in this contention set, including Amazon and Google. Only Amazon and R.R. Bowker LLC haven’t withdrawn their applications; my money is on Amazon.com.
- .cloud- There were 7 applicants, and the winner was ARUBA S.p.A., beating the likes of Google and Amazon
- .dog – Donuts won this three way race with Google and Minds + Machines
- .site- Radix won the five-way contention set
- .style – Donuts won the five-way race