Go Daddy creates process to eliminate 60 day transfer lock

GoDaddy.com offers way to remove 60 day lock on domain transfers after certain registrant changes.

Update: Read more about Go Daddy’s new transfer lock policy here.

Ah, the dreaded 60 day lock.

Go Daddy has taken quite a bit of flack over the years for rejecting transfers to other registrars if you changed certain registrant information within the previous 60 days.

But under a new policy, customers will have a formal way to request the sixty day hold be removed. Go Daddy will review the account for certain suspicious activity before removing the hold. If it removes the hold, Go Daddy will first change the registrant name back to what it was before the change was made that resulted in the 60 day lock.

“We understand our 60 day lock has been controversial,” said James Bladel, Director, Policy Planning for Go Daddy. “What is boils down to is, while it’s a very good tool for intercepting and preventing hijacking…we recognize that our efforts to address that problem shouldn’t be a hindrance to legitimate users of domain names that want transfers to be a little more simple.”

A new inter-registrar transfer policy goes into effect for all domain registrars today. It requires registrars to make an emergency contact available in the event of urgent transfer issues. Bladel said this should make it easier for registrars to work on reversing domain hijackings. Previously, half the battle was getting the other registrar on the phone, Bladel said.

Comments

1. Elliot Silver says

“Go Daddy will first change the registrant name back to what it was before the change was made that resulted in the 60 day lock.”

That doesn’t make a lot of sense if you just bought the name from another registrant, had it pushed to your account, and then re-sold it or want to transfer it out. If the Whois info changes back to the former owner, you’d lose the name.

2. says

Here’s another idea 4 GoDaddy

I’m all revved up

Any company or agency who has long term contract with intuit (Bob Parson’s Technology) or Godaddy (Bob Parsons other technology), should by right be able 2 make that contract null & void if that vendor(GoDaddy or intuit) is found 2 have caused intentional harm to their customers, & or by Breach of Fiduciary Duty

i.e. A credit union with X years contract remaining with intuit…(Bob Parsons Technology) should be allowed to end that contract immediately & find a new banking services vendor

Perhaps this might not only help keep consumers information safe, it’s also prudent 4 Credit Unions, & banks not to get ripped off themselves, or compromise their own customers private, confidential information via shady dealers

Just my thoughts

GuN

3. says

Agree with Elliot. WTF?

This must be wrong.

1. Changing back will either change to old owner or old email address so nothing but hassle for everybody.

2. How can GoDaddy have the power to change ANY whois for ANY reason? I don’t want GoDaddy changing my whois info EVER.

4. JP says

#1: What Rob Said
    #2: Why does this even require a process.

(if they revert your Whois info then who will get the epp code and the transfer out authorization request)

5. says

2 GD incidents last week:

A guy complained an image he owned was posted w/o permission. Godaddy didn’t take down the image, they suspended all the person’s 18 web sites. http://yro.slashdot.org/story/12/05/25/1744246/photographer-threatened-with-legal-action-after-asserting-his-copyright

They had a domain that used an old nameserver of mine and I asked it be removed. it took 17 days, more than 15 e-mails, and several complaints to ICANN. They they changed it to: SUSPENDED-FOR-SPAM-AND-ABUSE publically accusing their own customer of spam and abuse even though they did neither.

6. Nic says

I louth GoDaddy. Largely because of this rule.

I quoted DNW today, in requesting a transfer out (name registered 2009 but won recently in an auction), ie so I could benefit from the process you refer to above.

Same old cut-and-paste crap, back, ignoring the request:

hank you for contacting Online Support. You can not yet transfer ________________.COM from Go Daddy to your other registrar. Newly registered domain names are locked for 60 days per ICANN policy, during which the domain name cannot be transferred. This lock applies to all domains and all Registrars, not just Go Daddy. The domain was moved into your account 5/16/2012 and would not be able to be transferred away until 60 days from that date.

7. says

I think any registrant can call and ask to have the lock removed. Ask for an executive account if you have a lot of domains and they should take care of you.

8. says

@ Nic – the transfer policy forbids a 60 day lock on domains transferred between accounts at the same domain registrar. It only allows a 60 day lock for an inter-registrar transfer. So you won it in a GoDaddy auction?

9. Nic says

Andrew,

First, many thanks for engaging with your commentees. (Me.) Appreciated.

Second, I seem to recall some ICANN clarification as to support of Godaddy’s interpretation of ICANN policy. But if I recall correctly I don’t know how they formed that view. Moreover I don’t know what you mean when you say the policy “allows a 60 day lock for an inter-registrar transfer”. Perhaps you are referring to GoDaddy policy.

I am referring to (and GoDaddy is relying on, in it’s response to me – see above) *ICANN* policy.

Has this ground not been covered over and over? And over?

++++++

The Registrar of Record may deny a transfer request only in the following specific instances:
    1. A domain name is in the first 60 days of an initial registration period.
    2. A domain name is within 60 days (or a lesser period to be determined) after being transferred (apart from being transferred back to the original Registrar in cases where both Registrars so agree and/or where a decision in the dispute resolution process so directs).
    ++++++

GoDaddy transferred an expiring Godaddy name to me that was a) registered in 2009 and b) was not transferred from another registrar. (Would only be a new reg for the purposes of UDRP).

I know no one transferred it to GoDaddy within 60 days, otherwise it would have been extended a year and not have expired. Right?

Next step, is that that they insist I call them from Australia. Nope. I wont spend one cent calling them. It’s painful. Why should I call them (spend several dollars) to enjoy a right afforded to me under ICANN policy? Is it not clear as day? (Apparently not.)

10. FarmerJohn says

Yeah, the 60-day lock policy was always about protecting GoDaddy customers.

Or maybe capturing them.

11. says

It took me about 30 minutes over the phone to customer support to finally get them to divulge the address to mail. If you need it unlocked contact – review60@godaddy.com

In order to unlock the account they require verification. Now here’s the kicker and a lesson to all. One of the domains I set my WHOIS data under my company details. I sent them a mail asking to unlock a few domains I won under closeouts.

Here’s the response they sent, could they put a little more red tape in front of me? Perhaps they may also want to know what I had for breakfast this morning.

Customer service act like they know nothing about this, needless to say I have better things to do than to furnish Godaddy with all this information. As soon as the locks expire I’ll be transferring out all my Godaddy domains to namesilo. They don’t put all these stupid measures in place in a veiled excuse that it’s for security. There’s a million other ways they can prevent hijacking, Godaddy’s system is clearly self service and designed to do one thing, keep the domains with Godaddy for as long as possible.

Here’s what they requested from me….

1. A completed 60-Day Lock Removal Request Form (attached).

2. Photo identification. Acceptable photo identification is clear, readable, and issued by the government. We must be able to clearly identify the pictured person, name, signature, and expiration date.

3. Government-issued business identification for the organization listed as the current registrant, x. The following are considered acceptable business identification (if not based in the United States, please provide a Certified English translation of your country’s equivalent documentation):

– A copy of business license
    – Tax certificate (number alone is not acceptable)
    – Doing Business As documentation
    – Fictitious Name documentation
    – IRS 501(C)3 “Determination Letter” (You may request a copy of this letter by contacting the IRS at 1-800-829-4933)
    – Government issued certificate of tax exemption showing charitable status

You may scan or take a digital photo of the information and include it with your reply to this email.

Once we have received the documentation, we will further review your request.

While I’ll continue to use their auctions, I’ll have to plan around this 60 day lock. It’s so frustrating though, one domain I bought i already have a buyer for, so as a stop gap I’ll have to negotiate forwarding DNS to their server until the lock is removed.

Go team GoDaddy.